Thursday 16 September 2010

A tonne of lead

Just over a tonne of lead arrived this morning. Each roll weighs 112 kilos, and is well beyond what I could lift. I reckon even a Skye hurricane should have trouble shifting it from the flat roof once it's in place. Those are not full rolls you can see in the picture - those are the bits cut to size for each panel. I can just lift one of them!

The person who has spent the day here preparing and shaping each section ready to be fitted is the plumber. As well as doing all the usual plumbing work involved in the extension - pipes, tank, shower and taps - he will fit all the roof lead. I didn't realise that modern plumbers still did lead work. I suspect most of them don't, but simply plug together lengths of push-fit plastic pipes and joints. Our man seems to have the skills from an age when plumbers were true to their name.


Watching him forming each sheet to the rough shape needed makes me feel pretty humble. It looks like very skilled work indeed.

I'm not certain how long it will be before we see any of it on the roof, but with that weight involved it better be after the permanent support posts are in place!

No comments:

Post a Comment